Our Story So far

1811
1811

Founded by Alexander Gilkie in Eyemouth. All trade carried on was purely timber importing and merchanting. The area that was served was small on account of the limitations of horse transport. 

1829
1829

Alexander Gilkie was succeeded by his nephew William Allan.

1843
1843

William Allan dies and his sons Thomas and James inherit the company and change it’s name to Allan Brothers. 

1853
1853

The company was thriving, and with the advent of the railway the Allan Brothers decided to transfer the business to a large site besides Tweedmouth Station, an important railway station. 

1893
1893

A joinery factory was added to a now eight acre site housing the saw and moulding mill.

1894
1894

On the death of the last Allan Brother, the business changed to a private limited company.

1939
1939

Due to the war, the government established timber control and took over all timber stocks. All available capacity was used to convert logs into sawn timber, which were used by the women now employed in the joinery factory to produce air raid shelter bunks, ammunition boxes etc. 

1945
1945

After the war the company continued under various managing directors.

1989
1989

The company underwent a management buy-out to return to private ownership. In the same year the company also moved to it’s present purpose-built factory and offices at Ord Road, Tweedmouth.

2007
2007

Allan Brothers was acquired by Inwido – Europe’s leading window group. 

2011
2011

Allan Brothers celebrated it’s 200th anniversary.

2021
2021

Allan Brothers are accepted into the Guild of Master Craftsmen. As Guild members, we are committed to upholding the highest professional standards and to flying the flag for modern-day craftsmanship!